What memory issues are not part of normal aging?

Alexis Abramson
Caregiving
Age related changes in the brain can make it harder to learn and remember certain things. Memory problems that aren't usually considered to be a part of “normal aging” are: forgetting things much more often than you used to, having trouble learning new things, repeating phrases or stories in the same conversation and having trouble making routine choices or handling money. I would definitely suggest that you have your loved one discuss her memory problems with her physician to make sure she is properly diagnosed. One decision that everyone, especially mature adults, should stick to is the promise to keep our minds sharp throughout our lives. Researchers call this lifelong process “cognitive vitality.”

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Expect to Keep Your Memory
Expect to Keep Your Memory
Age-related memory loss. Think it's inevitable? Here's why you might want to think again. Buying into the stereotype that memory function automatical...
How can I maintain my memory as I get older?
While normal predictable memory changes occur as we age, most people maintain their memory through t...
Is it normal to forget names as you age?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Things that are hard to remember with normal aging are names, especially new names that you're tryin...
What Applications Can Help Someone with Memory Problems?