Is it normal to forget names as you age?

David A. Merrill, MD
Psychiatry
Things that are hard to remember with normal aging are names, especially new names that you're trying to learn, or details of recent events (the spontaneous recall of recent events declines with aging). As you get older, for example, you might have trouble remembering where you parked your car at the mall, which was the exact spot or which floor of the parking lot it was on. That’s considered normal. If you were to completely forget that you’d driven to the mall, then that would be considered abnormal.

The deficits in memory with normal aging are relatively small -- about 10% per decade. Recognition also generally remains stable.

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Power Nap for Better Memory
Power Nap for Better Memory
President John Kennedy did it. Winston Churchill and Lyndon Johnson planned it for a specific time daily. We’re talkin’ about The Nap.  We’ve long ad...
How does normal aging affect memory?
Majid Fotuhi, MDMajid Fotuhi, MD
The part of the brain that controls memory is called the hippocampus; it's very fragile and tends to...
How can I help reduce my aging parent's confusion during a hospital stay?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Being a 25-year healthcare professional in no way helped me answer this question. Being a son with a...
What Applications Can Help Someone with Memory Problems?