How can I maintain my memory as I get older?

While normal predictable memory changes occur as we age, most people maintain their memory through the years. Starting in your late 20s, your hippocampus -- the part of your brain responsible for memory -- shrinks an average of 1% a year as memory cells shrivel up and die.

The good news: Shrinking is reversible. Exercise your memory cells with mental tasks that can save your hippocampal cells. Or, better yet, you can help your brain grow new cells. A recent study found that juggling isn't just a trick -- it can actually make your brain bigger! Just 15 minutes of juggling a day can result in a significant increase in your brain's gray matter. But like a muscle, you have to practice it regularly to benefit or you'll lose what you've gained.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Power Nap for Better Memory
Power Nap for Better Memory
President John Kennedy did it. Winston Churchill and Lyndon Johnson planned it for a specific time daily. We’re talkin’ about The Nap.  We’ve long ad...
How does normal aging affect memory?
Majid Fotuhi, MDMajid Fotuhi, MD
The part of the brain that controls memory is called the hippocampus; it's very fragile and tends to...
Can normal memory be preserved in aging?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Mental aging and the loss of one’s cognition were long seen as an inevitable decline of the aging pr...
What Are Some Things I Can Do to Keep My Brain Healthy?