How can I maintain my memory as I get older?

While normal predictable memory changes occur as we age, most people maintain their memory through the years. Starting in your late 20s, your hippocampus -- the part of your brain responsible for memory -- shrinks an average of 1% a year as memory cells shrivel up and die.

The good news: Shrinking is reversible. Exercise your memory cells with mental tasks that can save your hippocampal cells. Or, better yet, you can help your brain grow new cells. A recent study found that juggling isn't just a trick -- it can actually make your brain bigger! Just 15 minutes of juggling a day can result in a significant increase in your brain's gray matter. But like a muscle, you have to practice it regularly to benefit or you'll lose what you've gained.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Napping Is Smart
Napping Is Smart
Becoming older and wiser may be especially easy for people who nap regularly. A study of men between the ages of 55 and 85 revealed that taking an af...
What can I do to prevent memory loss as I age?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
A healthy brain is the best defense against memory decline. Don’t smoke, eat well, and be active...
How Much of the Brain Do We Understand?
How Much of the Brain Do We Understand?
The Secret to Healthy Aging
The Secret to Healthy Aging