Why do my aging parents lose their belongings so often?

Shelley Webb
Nursing
Aging adults with dementia often find the need to hide items away in order to protect them or keep them for future use. This action is referred to as hoarding. It is generally harmless but can be exasperating if the hidden item is one that is important (car keys, jewelry, credit cards) or if it causes them to be concerned or agitated when he or she cannot find the item again. Hiding an item is said to make an aging adult feel more secure. It probably relates back to early mankind when people hunted and gathered our food and stored it away for future use. Some people just keep things because they have always had the tendency to collect things. If this action does make your aging parent or loved one feel less anxious, it's probably fine to let them do so.

Continue Learning about Aging & Memory Issues

Napping Is Smart
Napping Is Smart
Becoming older and wiser may be especially easy for people who nap regularly. A study of men between the ages of 55 and 85 revealed that taking an af...
What can I do to prevent memory loss as I age?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Most people have at least a passing concern about their memory as they get older. In this video, hea...
Is it normal to forget names as you age?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Things that are hard to remember with normal aging are names, especially new names that you're tryin...
What Are Some Things I Can Do to Keep My Brain Healthy?