How does osteoarthritis affect the neck?

In the neck, osteoarthritis occurs when cartilage, or the protective slippery cushion of tissue that lines your joints, becomes damaged and unable to do its job. Over time, the joint cartilage breaks down to the point of bone-on-bone contact every time you move your head. This can be very painful and can cause inflammation. Over time, it can lead to disability.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about Affects of Osteoarthritis on the Body

Will osteoarthritis in my knees affect my cardio workout?
David Hogarth David Hogarth
Yes, unfortunately it can. You are in a difficult situation when you would like to lose some weight ...
What parts of the body does osteoarthritis affect?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Osteoarthritis can affect almost any joint, but is most typical in the joints that bear weight over ...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints