How do I know if I have adrenal fatigue?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Adrenal fatigue is a term that some providers use to describe chronic exhaustion.  People with the diagnosis are people who have chronic levels of stress and feel depleted.  This is not an established medical term.
Keith Roach, MD
Proponents will diagnose adrenal fatigue in people with symptoms of fatigue, low energy (especially in the morning), food cravings, or feeling more energetic in the evening. According to this model, the adrenal glands’ function can be abnormal even if blood testing is normal. Unfortunately, these symptoms are common and can be accounted for by many conditions, including thyroid disease, sleep disturbances, stress and depression.
Aviva J. Romm, MD
Family Medicine
Some of the symptoms that may suggest adrenal fatigue include tiredness upon waking, needing a mid-afternoon caffeine boost, craving carbs, and chronic low blood pressure. Watch as integrative medicine expert Aviva Romm, MD, discusses these symptoms.
Susan S. Blum, MD
Preventive Medicine

Symptoms of adrenal fatigue include chronic exhaustion, inflammation in the body (joint/muscle pain), and for menopausal women, worsened symptoms. Watch as functional medicine expert Susan Blum, MD, discusses the signs of a sluggish adrenal system.

Continue Learning about Adrenal Gland

What do I need to do to prepare for adrenal gland surgery?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Prior to having adrenal surgery, your doctor will ensure that you have been properly prepared. You s...
How can surgery treat adrenal gland disorders?
Surgery is sometimes used to treat adrenal gland disorders that occur as the result of a tumor in th...
How do medications treat adrenal gland disorders?
Medications treat adrenal gland disorders by replacing the cortisol and other hormones normally prod...
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?
How Is an Adrenal Imbalance Treated?