Who is an adoption medical specialist?

Joni Johnston
An adoption medical specialist is typically a physician who has had extensive experience reviewing medical records of children who are available for adoption. This is important for a number of reasons; 1) with regards to international adoption, it is against the law in some countries for "healthy" children to be adopted out of country, so all children are given some kind of diagnosis, and 2) some problems are environmentally induced while others may be genetic or chronic. An adoption medical specialist should be familiar with the country in which you are adopting and able to sort through problems that are mild or correctable (or due to lack of stimulation) versus those that may need longer term care or not be correctable. Often, medical adoption specialists have adopted children as well.

Continue Learning about Adoption

Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willing...
How can I be age-appropriate when discussing my child's adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Be age appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and abil...
How can I help my adopted child who was exposed to drugs prenatally?
 Dr. Karyn  Purvis, PhD Dr. Karyn Purvis, PhD
One treatment that may help adopted children who were exposed to drugs before birth is called infant...
Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, op...