How should I talk with my child about his adoption?

Michele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, open communication about adoption seems to be the key” to helping kids thrive and take their adoption in stride. Your child needs to know he can come to you in ease and comfort with any question and at any time. And your child always needs to hear this information from you in a context of love and commitment.

Reassure your child that his feelings-whatever they may be–and quest for information about his past are normal and that you will do whatever you can to fill in those details. That kind of calm, reassuring helpfulness – letting the child know you’re “there” anytime and there’s nothing he should ever feel uncomfortable about asking you will help.

Be age-appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and ability to understand. Research at Rutgers University found that all kids develop a gradual meaning of adoption in these predictable stages and regardless of whether they are adopted or not. It helps to know those stages. Leaving out certain facts due to the age of your child is okay.

Continue Learning about Adoption

Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willing...
How does being adopted affect a child?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
The circumstances that led to adoption will likely impact a child throughout his or her life in some...
Why should I talk openly with my child about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, "Quiet, op...
How do I reassure my adopted child that I'm not going to abandon her?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
The central fear of adopted children is that they will be “given up” again. Your child needs ass...