How should I talk with my child about his adoption?

Michele Borba
To help create an open-door communication policy about your child's adoption, Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, open communication about adoption seems to be the key” to helping kids thrive and take their adoption in stride. Your child needs to know he can come to you in ease and comfort with any question and at any time. And your child always needs to hear this information from you in a context of love and commitment.

Reassure your child that his feelings-whatever they may be–and quest for information about his past are normal and that you will do whatever you can to fill in those details. That kind of calm, reassuring helpfulness – letting the child know you’re “there” anytime and there’s nothing he should ever feel uncomfortable about asking you will help.

Be age-appropriate by using words and language that your child suitable to your child’s age and ability to understand. Research at Rutgers University found that all kids develop a gradual meaning of adoption in these predictable stages and regardless of whether they are adopted or not. It helps to know those stages. Leaving out certain facts due to the age of your child is okay.

Continue Learning about Adoption

How can I help my child feel comfortable about being adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Peter L. Benson, lead researcher of one of the largest studies on adoptees says that, “Quiet, op...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...
When should I tell my child that she is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Begin using the term "adoption" during your child's early toddler and preschool years to help yo...
How early should I talk about adoption with my adopted child?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Start those adoption chats early. Begin using the term “adoption” during your child’s early toddler ...