Can I adopt a child of a particular sex or age or more than one child?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Yes, this is very possible, depending on country laws, state laws, agency policies, and your willingness to wait. The wait is often longer for younger children; however, this is also dependent on the country from which you choose to adopt. Be clear from the beginning when talking with agencies to determine if they have a good program that fits how you desire to grow your family. 

Continue Learning about Adoption

How should I tell my child that he is adopted?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are some tips on how to tell you child he is adopted:Begin those adoption talks early Begin u...
How do I find out my health history if I'm adopted?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you're adopted, ask your adoptive parents if they received any medical information about your bio...
How should my child respond when kids ask him about his adoption?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Let’s face it, kids (and adults!) can be cruel. One of the best things parents can do is arm ado...
Can psychiatric services help an adopted child adjust to a new home?
Victoria L. Dunckley, MDVictoria L. Dunckley, MD
The short answer is, yes of course. The reality is, many adopted children do not get referred to men...