Why should children with ADHD avoid sweets and sugary foods?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
Over 50 percent of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) crave sweets, often at the expense of nutritious food. About 70 percent of children who crave sweets have much more control over their behavior when their food is low in added sugar. My first line of advice to parents is, keep your children away from sugary cereals, pancakes or waffles with syrup, soft drinks, candy, cakes, cookies, doughnuts, ice cream, frozen yogurt, and chocolate. Every ounce of sugar reduction helps. Sugar alone does not cause hyperactivity. It reduces the nutritional quality of the diet and may aggravate other food intolerances.

Continue Learning about ADHD

The Best Way to Handle ADHD in Young Kids
One million viewers a day tune in to ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption to watch Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debate, inflate and rant about the lat...
How can I help my child with ADHD maintain a healthy mindset?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Improve your child's self-efficacy For a child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD),...
How can I help other people understand the behavior of my child with ADHD?
Research over many decades has shown that applying an optimistic explanatory style can help depressi...
What Is The Stroop Test?
What Is The Stroop Test?