What is the predominantly inattentive type of ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Predominantly inattentive type is one of the three types of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). One study reported that this type of ADHD was the most common type found in children. In that study, almost half of the children observed had predominantly inattentive type.

This type of ADHD causes people to have trouble paying attention to others. It becomes difficult to listen, take turns, and act appropriately. Other difficulties with this type of ADHD include trouble remembering important dates, managing time well, and being organized.

Continue Learning about ADHD

How to Set Up Your Child with ADHD for Success in School
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder can make it difficult for a child to stay focused in school. In this video, Dr. Oz outlines five techniques p...
How can recklessness affect adults with ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Recklessness can get attention deficit disorder (ADD) adults into trouble. When you embark on a wi...
What can I do for my teen with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Support your teen. Set clear rules for him or her to follow. Try not to punish your teen every time ...
What is the medical model of ADHD?
Although your psychologist, psychiatrist, or pediatrician may seem like an authority that you ca...