What is inattentive attention deficit disorder (ADD)?

Inattentive attention deficit disorder (ADD) is the second most common type of ADD. Those suffering with this type are usually quiet, more introverted and appear to daydream a lot. They may be labeled as unmotivated -- even slow or lazy. Inattentive ADD is common in girls and boys but is often missed because children with this type tend to have fewer behavioral problems. They don’t draw the negative attention to themselves as do those with classic ADD. 

Inattentive ADD single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) scan findings show normal activity at rest, but during concentration there tends to be decreased activity in the underside of the prefrontal cortex, cerebellum and basal ganglia.

Inattentive ADD is the perfect example of why the general term attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) does not fit all ADD types. If clinicians and parents are looking for hyperactivity to reach a diagnosis, those with this type (absent of hyperactivity) may be left untreated and go on living life below their true potential.

Continue Learning about ADHD

7 Tips for Talking to Your Kid with ADHD
Everyone has their own way of communicating. Even when you know someone really well, they can say something that flies right over your head. So we lea...
How do the brains of people with ADD differ from those of other people?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
The brains of people with attention deficit disorder (ADD) work differently. Ideally, when we concen...
How can I cope with my feelings and others people's attitudes if I have a child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Coping with your feelings if you have a child with ADHD If you have a child with attention deficit h...
The At-Home Test to Detect Your ADHD Risk