What is the combined type of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Combined type is one of the three types of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). One study found that about one-third of children with ADHD have combined type. This type of ADHD includes a broad mix of ADHD symptoms. People are diagnosed with combined type of ADHD when their symptoms fit into both the predominantly inattentive and predominantly hyperactive-impulsive types of ADHD. These people often have trouble paying attention and following instructions. They also often tend to be hyperactive and impulsive.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Recognizing ADHD Symptoms in Children
Recognizing ADHD Symptoms in Children
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is currently the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorder in children. According to the Centers for...
Should ADHD be considered a disease?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The medical model presents attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as a brain dysfunctio...
As an adult with ADD, why do I feel restless and what can I do about it?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
As an adult with attention deficit disorder (ADD), your restlessness may be a warning that there are...
The Attention Test to Determine Your Adult ADHD Risk