How does parent training help kids with ADHD?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Parent training for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) teaches strategies and techniques for parents who want to modify their children's behaviors. These behavioral modification strategies are well researched and taught in an intensive education format, sometimes one on one.

The National Resource Center on ADHD reports that children with ADHD often do best when given specific limits and boundaries. Parent training helps parents identify boundaries that need to be set with their children. For instance, parents are encouraged to select specific problem behaviors in their children and to find ways to encourage their children to change these behaviors. This can be done if parents implement a rigorous daily system using rewards and consequences. Parents may choose to use time-outs, daily behavior charts, and the giving and withdrawing privileges.

Over time, when parents are consistent with behavior modification, children respond well to behavior modification, and their conduct usually improves.

Every child needs a structured, safe, supportive environment. Kids with ADHD need it even more! Behavioral parent training helps you provide the home environment and develop the parenting skills that are truly tailored for a child with ADHD. It’s hard work, both for you and for your child, but in the end he’ll develop skills that help him do better at school, with his friends, and at home. He may even get along better with his brother or sister. Imagine that!

Continue Learning about ADHD

5 Steps to Communicate Better with Your Partner
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD
What Can I Do at Home to Help My Child with ADHD?
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?
How Does Sugar Consumption Affect ADHD?