What are some lifestyle changes that can help manage ADHD symptoms?

Get plenty of sleep
People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) often have trouble sleeping. A lack of sleep will make managing ADHD symptoms in the daytime that much more difficult.

To improve your sleep, stick to a regular schedule, where you go to bed and get up at the same time each day. Then, adopt some relaxing habits in the evening before bed, such as listening to soft music. And eliminate all stimulating activities before bed, such as late-night Web surfing or TV watching. Eating a light, protein-rich snack an hour or two before bed may help promote sleepiness as well. Talk with your doctor if the steps you've taken to improve your sleep aren't helping.

Exercise
Being physically active is one of the very best ways to help manage your ADHD symptoms. Exercise boosts blood flow to the brain and releases endorphins, both of which can help you feel calmer and more focused. A bout of physical activity also helps release pent up energy, so you don't feel so restless. Try to be physically active for at least 30 minutes a day most days of the week, and pick activities you enjoy so you'll do them regularly.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Affirmation Important for Kids with ADHD
Several years ago when Hank Aaron was asked, “What would you do differently if you played baseball today?” the always graceful home-run king (at the t...
Can adults have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?
Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MDDr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Grown-ups can have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but they have more ability to co...
Why do I want to be the center of attention if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Sometimes an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult's hyperactivity is driven by what I call a "clas...
How to Create a To-Do List That Really Works