How should I react when my child with ADHD acts up?

As frustrated as you may get with your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), remember that staying very closely connected to her is the most effective way to minimize acting out. In the heat of the moment, the first intervention should be to get down to your child's level and look her intensely in the eyes with care, concern, and love. Touch her in a calming and loving way. If you can remember this as a first approach to handling any behavior such as whining, wanting something she can't have, or acting out, you will minimize many problems.

In addition to reframing bad behavior and maintaining your close connection to your child, you can actively search for a gift that your child is expressing and help others see this gift. Rather than cringing at her hyperactivity, try saying, "Isn't she the spunky one!" When her emotions are bursting forth, help others see how intense and sensitive she is. If you cringe, you are likely to evoke a similar reaction in others. If you see and mention the gifts, others will too.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Medications and Your Child
ADHD Medications and Your Child
Deciding whether and when to include medication in your child's ADHD treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individua...
What does attention deficit mean in ADHD?
Constance Mofunanya, DNPConstance Mofunanya, DNP
Attention deficit means inability to pay attention. In people with this disorder, inattention appear...
How should I discipline a child with ADHD?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Children who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to have discipline...
Is There a Link Between ADHD and Tech Use?