How can problem-solving help my child with ADHD?

I have become convinced that most of the bad behavior of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) children can be solved by the same strategy:
  • Identifying the problem, such as, "My child does not follow directions."
  • Adopting a problem-solving attitude, not a blaming one.
  • Avoiding the urge to punish.
  • Making a serious effort to get inside the mind of your child.
  • Asking yourself and your child why the behavior makes sense.
  • Correcting any misperceptions and providing information that will solve the problem.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

When Parents Have ADHD
When Parents Have ADHD
Did you know that many parents of children with ADHD have the disorder, too? It's true. Adults with ADHD are often undiagnosed or misdiagnosed—until t...
How does attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) affect adults and teens?
Being a teenager isn't always easy. Teens with ADHD can have a tough time. School may be a struggle,...
What is overfocused attention deficit disorder (ADD)?
Amen Clinics, Inc.Amen Clinics, Inc.
In order to focus, it is necessary to continually be able to shift your attention. People suffering ...
Keep a Journal to Track Adult ADHD Symptoms