How prevalent is ADHD in children?

Between 3% and 7% of school-aged children currently have a diagnosis of ADHD, according to the American Psychiatric Association. However, nearly 1 in 10 children (9.5%) aged 4 to 17 have had an ADHD diagnosis at some point in their childhood and rates of ADHD diagnosis are rising, especially in older teenagers.

Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is running a close second behind autism for media coverage and parental worry today. It’s so commonly diagnosed that somewhere between 5 and 10 percent of children have it, depending on which statistics you believe. That could mean up to four million children in the United States, predominantly boys, who are three times more susceptible to it than girls, have ADHD.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

The Best Way to Handle ADHD in Young Kids
One million viewers a day tune in to ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption to watch Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon debate, inflate and rant about the lat...
Is ADHD a real disorder?
The mental health and medical communities agree that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
What is interpersonal intuition in adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Many adults with attention deficit disorder (ADD) have a gift of interpersonal intuition -- a qual...
As an adult with ADD, why do I feel restless and what can I do about it?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
As an adult with attention deficit disorder (ADD), your restlessness may be a warning that there are...