How can I teach my child with ADHD to give himself attention?

Everyone, and especially kids, has a powerful need to receive attention. You can coach your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to meet some of these needs by giving himself more attention. This can be a great way to help your child feel attended to, and it can also improve his skills at concentrating. After all, he has more incentive to actively pay attention when his focus is himself.

Here is a list of activities that will help your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) to pay attention to himself. Do each activity yourself and then show your child how to do it, giving him some time to practice any or all of these:
  • Give yourself a hand massage. Spend time focusing on your hands and releasing tension through gentle kneading.
  • Just sit still and observe your breathing. No techniques to follow, just notice breathing with curiosity. Try breathing in through the nose and then the mouth. Try shallow breathing and then deep breathing. Just pay attention, and marvel at how you're breathing all the time without having to control it at every moment.
  • Write in a journal. Ask yourself questions. Write down your ideas, thoughts, and observations. Ask yourself what you need and write how you can get those needs met.
The Gift of ADHD Activity Book: 101 Ways to Turn Your Child's Problems into Strengths (Companion)

So much depends on how you look at things: Are you a glass-half-empty person, or do you discover advantages where other people find only weaknesses? When it comes to raising healthy, happy kids,...

Continue Learning about ADHD

5 Ways to Help ADHD Kids Succeed at School
School can be tough for children for a lot of different reasons. For kids dealing with ADHD and school, succeeding can be especially difficult because...
How can I manage the stress of parenting a child who has ADHD?
It is definitely possible to manage the stress of parenting a child with attention deficit hyperacti...
Does the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 cover adults with ADHD?
Some adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) qualify for benefits under the Reha...
What Do We Know About ADHD and the Brain?