How can I help my child with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder?

If your child has attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), there are a few things you and your child can do as a team:

• Make sure he is getting a well-rounded, healthy diet.
  • Stick to a schedule that ensures enough sleep.
  • Try to limit the distractions in his environment.
  • Ask your child to sit in the front row to help him focus on tasks.
  • Have him write down assignments and questions to avoid unnecessary or repetitious questions, but assure him it’s okay to ask for clarification of instructions. Also, use some type of graphic or visual organizer to help him keep track of assignments.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about ADHD

4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
Your Child Has ADHD? How to Work With His or Her Teacher
What Happens When ADD Goes Untreated?
What Happens When ADD Goes Untreated?