How do the brains of people with ADD differ from those of other people?

The brains of people with attention deficit disorder (ADD) work differently. Ideally, when we concentrate, blood flow should increase in the brain, especially in the prefrontal cortex; this increased activity allows us to focus, stay on task and think ahead. In the brains of most people with ADD, blood flow actually goes down when they concentrate, making it harder to stay focused. In other words, the harder they try, the harder it gets.

Continue Learning about ADHD

Living with Adult ADHD
Living with Adult ADHD
Work, money, relationships, emotional well-being, and health -- ADHD in adults can affect many areas of your life. And when you've been living with ad...
How can I help other people understand the behavior of my child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Research over many decades has shown that applying an optimistic explanatory style can help depressi...
What do I need to know about caring for a child with ADHD?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Parents can help children deal with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by giving them a...
What Is The Stroop Test?
What Is The Stroop Test?