How do the brains of people with ADD differ from those of other people?

The brains of people with attention deficit disorder (ADD) work differently. Ideally, when we concentrate, blood flow should increase in the brain, especially in the prefrontal cortex; this increased activity allows us to focus, stay on task and think ahead. In the brains of most people with ADD, blood flow actually goes down when they concentrate, making it harder to stay focused. In other words, the harder they try, the harder it gets.

Continue Learning about ADHD

ADHD Teens and Driving
ADHD Teens and Driving
Teens and driving are a risky combo, especially when you consider that auto accidents are the leading cause of death in teens. Add ADHD to the equatio...
What do adults with ADD need to succeed, and what are their strengths?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) adults are often wildly inappropriate and irreverent. They can be t...
What should I do if my child with ADHD doesn't want to go to school?
If your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) says he doesn't want to go to sch...
Boost Your Self-Esteem With Positive Thinking