Can children with ADHD succeed in school?

A child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) has deficits in working memory and cannot hold numbers or other information in their memory as long as other children. Of course, a deficit in working memory doesn't mean your child cannot succeed in the classroom. Research has shown that 50 to 75 percent of a child's academic success is dependent on nonintellectual factors such as persistence, psychological health, and curiosity. This means that your child has a great deal of potential for succeeding in school, though teachers in traditional school settings may tend to view ADHD as a disadvantage. One of the gifts of ADHD is your child's enormous curiosity and energy. All of these will help your child succeed in school.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADHD

Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Bike Safety for Kids with ADHD
Once hedge-funder Martin Shkreli got his hands on the rights to the life-saving, toxoplasmosis medication, Daraprim, he raised its price from $13.50 p...
How can I help other people understand the behavior of my child with ADHD?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Research over many decades has shown that applying an optimistic explanatory style can help depressi...
Why should I avoid punishing my child with ADHD and comparing them to other kids?
If your child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), punishment ("No dessert for you!"...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration