What can happen if ADHD is not treated?

If attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not treated, it can impact people in a number of ways. The biggest problem with not treating ADHD is poor performance at school or at work. Poor performance and hyperactivity may lead to social isolation and temper outbursts, which is common in untreated ADHD.

People who have ADHD may also have other medical problems such as anxiety and depression if ADHD is not adequately treated. 
Studies show that without treatment, a person with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is more prone to alcohol and drug abuse, school and work problems, and difficulty with personal relationships. There's a greater risk for criminal behavior too.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How can I decide if I should take medication for ADHD?
Deciding whether and when to include medication in an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (...
Why is motivation important in the treatment of ADHD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
A reason many treatments for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) fail is that the th...
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?