What can happen if ADHD is not treated?

If attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is not treated, it can impact people in a number of ways. The biggest problem with not treating ADHD is poor performance at school or at work. Poor performance and hyperactivity may lead to social isolation and temper outbursts, which is common in untreated ADHD.

People who have ADHD may also have other medical problems such as anxiety and depression if ADHD is not adequately treated. 
Studies show that without treatment, a person with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is more prone to alcohol and drug abuse, school and work problems, and difficulty with personal relationships. There's a greater risk for criminal behavior too.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How can I tell if my ADHD treatment is effective?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) treatment is often a work in progress. You may h...
How are ADHD medication side effects regulated?
Doctors and their patients help the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulate side effects of ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications