How can I work out a treatment plan for my child’s ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
After your child is diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you will work with a medical doctor, and possibly a psychologist, to design an appropriate treatment plan. The doctor will help you find the right type of medication and appropriate dose to manage your child's ADHD symptoms. Then, the doctor may refer you to a psychologist or therapist who can involve your child in behavioral therapy interventions. This may take place in an individual or group setting.

Over time, regular visits with these professionals will help you determine whether the medication and therapies are working. From time to time, the doctor may want to adjust your child's medication dose or change the type of medication.

As you develop methods of treatment that will work best for your child, try to educate yourself as much as possible on the disorder. You will also need to communicate regularly with your child's teachers and other primary adult figures in his or her life to find out how your child is performing in all areas of life.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?