How can I work out a treatment plan for my child’s ADHD?

There’s no “I” in team, and a team effort is definitely what you need here. To create and maintain an effective treatment plan for your child’s ADHD, you want your child, your spouse and you, the docs, therapists, and teachers all on the same page. That means you all need to play for the same team. Don’t feel like you’re asking too much. Public schools have resources and personnel trained to help children with special needs, including ADHD. Not to mention, doctors and therapists are used to working in a collaborative environment. Everyone involved needs to understand what treatments you are going to try, what to expect, and things to be aware of. By getting everyone on the same page, you’ll get better feedback and feel more comfortable with the treatment you and the rest of the team ultimately decides on.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
After your child is diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you will work with a medical doctor, and possibly a psychologist, to design an appropriate treatment plan. The doctor will help you find the right type of medication and appropriate dose to manage your child's ADHD symptoms. Then, the doctor may refer you to a psychologist or therapist who can involve your child in behavioral therapy interventions. This may take place in an individual or group setting.

Over time, regular visits with these professionals will help you determine whether the medication and therapies are working. From time to time, the doctor may want to adjust your child's medication dose or change the type of medication.

As you develop methods of treatment that will work best for your child, try to educate yourself as much as possible on the disorder. You will also need to communicate regularly with your child's teachers and other primary adult figures in his or her life to find out how your child is performing in all areas of life.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the treatment options for adults with ADHD?
Sue HallowellSue Hallowell
Social worker and couple's therapist Sue Hallowell discusses some treatment options for adults w...
Do we know if ADHD treatment helps children get better over time?
A groundbreaking study in 1999 showed that medication and behavioral therapies were the most effecti...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations