What is the Feingold Diet for ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Back in the 1970s, it was thought that the Feingold Diet might offer an effective treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This diet played into the public’s concern about the potential dangers of food additives, artificial flavorings, and dyes in the American diet. Dr. Benjamin Feingold, a practicing allergist, wanted to find the cause of the growing problem of hyperactivity and learning disabilities. He suspected that food additives, along with salicylates (substances found in many fruits and vegetables), were to blame.

Dr. Feingold said that when children followed a special elimination diet that removed these substances, half of all participants displayed dramatic improvements in behavior. When these substances were returned to the children’s diets, the symptoms returned. As a result, the Feingold Diet became very successful, even though there was little, if any, real evidence of this diet’s effectiveness. In addition, the diet was hard to stick to, especially when parents were not around to monitor the diet.

Few children following the Feingold Diet showed any improvements, and this diet is no longer prescribed for ADHD. But it was found that eliminating food dyes improved children’s health. Today, physicians recommend screening certain children for food sensitivities.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the affects of nutrition, supplements and food additives on ADHD?
Some research reports that getting plenty of omega-3 fats in your diet could improve symptoms of att...
Do ADHD medications cause young people to commit suicide?
Medications that treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have been shown to slightly i...
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations