What are examples of behavioral-therapy treatments for ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Behavioral therapy treatment is one of the most effective forms of treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). A study funded by the National Institute of Mental Health found that behavior therapy, when combined with medication therapy, was the most effective form of treatment for children with ADHD. In a behavioral therapy setting, children are given clear guidance and expectations on how they should act. Parents, teachers, and other caregivers use a system of rewards and consequences to modify a child's behavior.

Here are some ideas of behavioral therapy interventions that parents can implement, as recommended by The Nemours Foundation and KidsHealth.org:

• Help your child stay organized.
  • Be clear and direct with your child when making requests.
  • Follow a routine each day.
  • Limit distractions for your child, including televisions, games, and computers.
  • Encourage your child's talents and strengths each day.
  • Reward your child when he or she behaves well.
  • Take away privileges or use time-outs when your child misbehaves.

Behavioral therapy for ADHD includes behavior modification, family or individual therapy, and social and educational support. Here are some examples of what you can learn to do through behavioral therapy. Since sticking to a routine is key, you may want to post your child’s daily schedule in a prominent place so he will always know where to find it. Maybe he’ll learn to put his backpack in the same place every day when he comes home from school. It may help to create a homework spot that is free of all possible distractions (no TV or computer). To reward good behavior, you may want to create a system of tickets that your child can earn, which add up to specific rewards. All children benefit from these behavioral approaches, but kids with ADHD really need them.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Is adult ADHD treatable?
You can improve all the key areas of adult life with proper treatment and management of attentio...
How are children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Children with ADHD can get better with treatment, but there is no cure. There are three basic types ...
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?