How does a psychiatrist treat ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A psychiatrist is the only mental health professional who can offer the full range of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) treatment. According to MayoClinic.com, a psychiatrist can diagnose ADHD, prescribe medication, and offer psychotherapy treatments.

Other clinicians, including family doctors, neurologists, and psychologists, are unable to provide all of these services for patients with ADHD. Since ADHD medications and therapy, combined, offer the best outcomes for people with ADHD, psychiatrists are often ideal for initial ADHD treatment. A psychiatrist may begin treatment by prescribing stimulant or non-stimulant ADHD medications. They may also counsel the person about ADHD or refer the person to another ADHD behavioral specialist.
Psychiatrists work with people with ADHD to talk through some of their problems and cope with issues such as anxiety and depression. If need be, the psychiatrist can prescribe medications to relieve certain symptoms. Sessions with a psychiatrist also allow you to develop effective coping mechanisms and strategies to deal with stressful and uncomfortable situations. In some cases, psychiatrists are also trained in behavior modification and can help you adjust your behavior so you can function better.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the side effects of stimulant medications for ADHD?
Edward M. Hallowell, MDEdward M. Hallowell, MD
The most common side effect of stimulant medications for ADHD is appetite suppression, but others in...
What should I know about medication for ADHD?
For attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication treatment to be successful, you n...
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?