Could my parenting style have caused my child's ADHD?

While ADHD is a problem with a chemical imbalance of the brain, there are certain environmental triggers that can make the disease more evident. Parenting styles that help to control the symptoms include scheduled play time, consistent routines, and minimizing distractions.
Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
The National Resource Center on ADHD acknowledges that some parenting styles may increase symptoms of hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, the center states that parenting styles cannot be the sole cause of ADHD.

ADHD is a genetic disorder based in the brain. Some believe that when women smoke or drink during pregnancy, their children may be more likely to develop ADHD. Other causes of ADHD may include prematurity, low body birth weight, and brain injury. Lead poisoning may also be a factor. 

If you are having trouble parenting and disciplining your child, help is available. You can take part in behavioral modification training classes for parents to help your child behave better at home and at school.

Parents of kids with ADHD often blame themselves, thinking their parenting style caused the condition. Mom, Dad, stop kicking yourselves. Study after study shows that parenting style doesn’t cause ADHD. On the other hand, studies also show that parenting style does make a difference when it comes to helping your child. Parent training and participation in behavioral therapy with your child improves everyone’s ability to cope, learn, and thrive.

I'm always amazed at how much guilt we parents are willing to assume for our children's behavior. No matter how many times parents are reassured that ADHD is a neurological condition that children are BORN WITH, we still worry that we've done something to cause it.

The good news is that there IS a lot we can do to help a child with ADHD. Learning about the condition from books, websites, and trained specialists will help you gain tricks and tips to help your child be successful and happy. Consistency and a long-term committment will lead to the most improvements.
Irwin Isaacs
No, ADHD is predetermined by genetic factors.  However, your parenting style can have a significant impact on the degree to which your child's ADHD interferes with his academic achievement, and the way in which his self esteem is effected. 

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

If my parent has ADHD, what are the chances that I will have ADHD?
If your parent has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you have a 30% chance of being d...
What increases the risk for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Risk factors for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) include a family history of the con...
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD
Does Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Run In Families?