What credentials should an acupuncturist have?

Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Acupuncture is a respected field of medicine, and most states, provinces and countries require formal training and certification. In particular the U.S. has rigorous training standards for acupuncturists. Most states require a 4-year Master's degree in Acupuncture (MSAC) or Traditional Oriental Medicine (MSTOM) from an accredited acupuncture school. In addition, an acupuncturist must pass written and practical state and/or national board exams in order to become licensed. Training includes all aspects of Western medicine as well as Traditional Oriental Medicine.

If you live in a state that does not require licensing, choose an acupuncturist certified by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Its members are required to have a degree in Acupuncture or Oriental Medicine (Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine) from an accredited school, or have worked as an apprentice acupuncturist for at least four years, and passed both written and practical national board exams. Those who have passed the acupuncture portion of the exam are entitled to add "Dipl.Ac." (Diplomate of Acupuncture) to their names. Practitioners of Traditional Oriental Medicine have passed the exams required for the Dipl.Ac. and the Herbal Medicine exam.

There is also an advanced doctoral degree available: the Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (D.A.O.M.). The highest degree available in the U.S., it requires an additional two and a half years of schooling beyond the 4-year Master's degree. Research studies, a dissertation, advanced clinical training, and advanced classes are also requirements.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Can Acupuncture Help Ease Your Chronic Pain?
In the quest to relieve chronic pain, having tiny needles inserted into your skin may not initially sound like a great idea. But the millions of Ameri...
How should I take care of myself after acupuncture?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
After an acupuncture treatment it is important to stay well hydrated and to get plenty of rest. Some...
Can acupuncture help me lose weight?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
A study in the journal Medical Acupuncture suggests that the practice of ear acupuncture may help th...
Can the Practice of Ear Stapling Help Me Lose Weight?