What are the side effects of acetaminophen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Taking too much acetaminophen can damage your liver. Acetaminophen is an active ingredient in over 600 products sold over the counter or by prescription. In many of these, it is combined with other drugs, such as pain relievers and decongestants. It may be listed in a product's ingredient list under a shorter name, such as APAP or Acetam. Before taking acetaminophen for back pain, make sure you're not already taking it in another product. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

Acetaminophen is metabolized by the liver, and its potential side effects include liver damage. Do not drink alcohol when you are taking acetaminophen, as the combination can have serious effects on the liver. Overdoses of acetaminophen have occasionally been fatal, generally as the result of inadvertently combining them with other drugs or alcohol, or as the result of taking more than you realize. For example, many over-the-counter products contain acetaminophen, such as cold, headache, and sinus medications, so it is not uncommon to be taking more acetaminophen than you intended. Always read the active ingredients in any medication you take, and never take more than 4 grams of acetaminophen a day.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What happens if you overdose on acetaminophen?
Taking too much acetaminophen can damage your liver. Acetaminophen is an active ingredient in over 6...
When should I avoid taking acetaminophen?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You should not take acetaminophen-containing products if you consume three or more alcoholic dri...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen