What is Tylenol (acetaminophen) poisoning?

Acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, is one of the most common household medications. If used in recommended doses, it has been proven to be a safe and effective pain reliever and fever reducer for short term use. However, if used in excessive doses, or for a long time, Tylenol can cause severe damage to the liver and be life-threatening. Acetaminophen is found in many over-the-counter medications, and for that reason the FDA has asked manufacturers to limit the quantity of acetaminophen in combination medications to 325 mg. per dose. The recommendation at this time is to not exceed 4000 mg. (4 grams) of acetaminophen from all sources per 24 hours.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

Who should not take acetaminophen?
Anyone who is allergic to acetaminophen should not take it. Also, acetaminophen in allergy and sinus...
How does acetaminophen interact with other medications?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking the following drugs, acetaminophen can lead to side effects and should be avoided:...
What is Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?