What is acetaminophen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is considered a first-line treatment for chronic muscle and joint pain, including osteoarthritis and nonspecific low back pain. It is a slightly weaker pain medication than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and does not share their ability to reduce inflammation, but is usually safer and less expensive.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Acetaminophen is the generic name of an active ingredient found in many over-the-counter (OTC) products and prescription medications. Acetaminophen also is known by various OTC brand names, such as Tylenol. The drug also is used in combination with other active ingredients, called "combination medicines," to treat symptoms of colds and influenza (flu), allergy and insomnia. Prescription drugs (such as Vicodin) contain acetaminophen and other active ingredients to help relieve pain.

Dr. Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Pain Medicine Specialist

Acetaminophen is one of the most commonly used, over-the-counter pain relievers, found in Tylenol and other products. In this video, pain management expert Devi Nampiaparampil, MD, reveals which products it's found in and what it treats.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

What happens if I miss a dose of acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen is usually taken as needed for pain relief, so missing a dose will mean that it will j...
How should I take acetaminophen?
Because there are many different types and combinations of acetaminophen, there are also many differ...
Play It Safe When You Take Acetaminophen
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?