What is acetaminophen?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is considered a first-line treatment for chronic muscle and joint pain, including osteoarthritis and nonspecific low back pain. It is a slightly weaker pain medication than nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and does not share their ability to reduce inflammation, but is usually safer and less expensive.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Acetaminophen is the generic name of an active ingredient found in many over-the-counter (OTC) products and prescription medications. Acetaminophen also is known by various OTC brand names, such as Tylenol. The drug also is used in combination with other active ingredients, called "combination medicines," to treat symptoms of colds and influenza (flu), allergy and insomnia. Prescription drugs (such as Vicodin) contain acetaminophen and other active ingredients to help relieve pain.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

Should I take acetaminophen while drinking alcohol?
While acetaminophen is quite safe when used correctly, it combines very badly with alcohol. Your liv...
Can I take too much acetaminophen?
It is possible to take too much acetaminophen. Too much acetaminophen can result in an overdose, of ...
What happens if you overdose on acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen overdoses can kill you via liver failure. You should go to the nearest emergency room ...
When should I take acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Keep acetaminophen (Tylenol) in your medicine cabinet for fever or pain relief, especially when ...