Is Tylenol (acetaminophen) safe in high doses?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
At very high doses, or in people with underlying liver disease, acetaminophen has the potential for liver toxicity. This is perhaps why an FDA advisory committee recommended in 2009 that the maximum adult dose of acetaminophen be reduced from 1,000 mg to 650mg at one time, and that the total daily maximum be reduced from 4 g to 2.6 g.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How can I find out if a medication contains acetaminophen?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You can determine if an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine contains acetaminophen by checking the p...
What happens if I miss a dose of acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen is usually taken as needed for pain relief, so missing a dose will mean that it will j...
What Are the Risks of Taking Acetaminophen?
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever
How to Bring Down a HIgh Fever