What are the treatment options for Tylenol poisoning?

The most common treatment for Tylenol poisoning is the administration of an antidote called N-acetylcysteine, or NAC. This medication is administered either by mouth or intravenously in order to counteract the toxic properties of the acetaminophen. NAC can prevent further harm to the liver but it will not help heal any damage already inflicted. In cases where Tylenol poisoning is detected early, activated charcoal can be given in order to block the absorption of the acetaminophen by the liver altogether.

Continue Learning about Acetaminophen

How does acetaminophen relieve arthritis pain?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
We are not sure. Acetaminophen or Tylenol is great for headache, pain and fever reduction but does v...
Should I take acetaminophen while drinking alcohol?
While acetaminophen is quite safe when used correctly, it combines very badly with alcohol. Your liv...
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Can I Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?
What is Acetaminophen?