Who should not take Vasotec?

You should not take the blood pressure drug Vasotec (enalapril) if you're pregnant or think you may be pregnant. Consult your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking Vasotec. This medication can cause injury or even death to a developing fetus.

You should not take Vasotec if you're allergic to any of its ingredients or if you've ever had something called angioedema. That condition causes hive-like swelling beneath the skin, which can be life-threatening if it occurs in the throat. Vasotec can trigger angioedema, and the risk of that happening may be higher in people with a history of the condition.

Other health conditions may also raise the risk of side effects from Vasotec. Before you start this drug, give your doctor a complete medical history, and tell him or her about all your other medications (prescription or over-the-counter) and herbal or dietary supplements.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

How effective are ACE inhibitors for managing coronary artery disease?
The many available ACE inhibitors are equally effective in lowering the risk of heart failure and ot...
What should I know before taking ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should not take an ACE inhibitor if you have ever shown signs of intolerance when taking one in ...
Can I take angiotensin converting enyme (ACE) inhibitors if I'm pregnant?
Research shows that using angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors during pregnancy, especiall...
What are ACE inhibitor drugs for coronary artery disease management?
ACE inhibitors relax blood vessels by reducing the level of angiotensin II, a hormone that makes blo...