What is fosinopril-hydrochlorothiazide?

Fosinopril-hydrochlorothiazide is a prescription medication that treats high blood pressure. It is a combination of two medications, fosinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. Fosinopril is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor that relaxes blood vessels. Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic that rids the body of excess fluid, causing blood vessels to relax. Hydrochlorothiazide enhances the effectiveness of fosinopril in lowering blood pressure. By lowering blood pressure, the two medications help reduce the heart's workload. This helps lower the risk for heart attack, stroke and kidney failure. While fosinopril-hydrochlorothiazide does not cure high blood pressure, it can help you control it. It is also known by the brand name Monopril.

Continue Learning about ACE Inhibitor

Can I take blood pressure medication if I have diabetes?
If you have diabetes, it is important to keep certain factors in mind if you have high blood pressur...
What can I take for a cough that is caused by my ACE inhibitor medication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many people with diabetes have problems with high blood pressure. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE...
How effective are angiotensin receptor blockers for heart failure?
ARBs are sometimes considered as alternatives to ACE inhibitors for people with heart failure after ...
What are side effects of ACE inhibitors?
Dr. Natalia S. Rost, MDDr. Natalia S. Rost, MD
Side effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors include: Persistent dry cough; altere...