What should I expect during a tummy tuck?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
In the preop area before tummy tuck surgery, your surgeon will draw a line on the middle of your belly, from the bottom of the breastbone to the pubic bone. The ribs and the skin to be removed will be marked. If liposuction of the flanks is to be done, a topographic map of the fat in this area will be drawn.

The operation will be performed under general anesthesia. Technically, it is possible to perform it under local anesthesia, but most surgeons prefer general anesthesia. A urine drain is often placed in the bladder. Compression calf boots will keep the blood flowing, lessening the chance of a blood clot in the leg. An injection of heparin, a blood thinner, further decreases the likelihood of clotting. The surgeon paints the skin with an antibacterial solution prior to the start of the operation.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

How long is the recovery after tummy tuck surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
In general, the recovery is at least six weeks after a tummy tuck surgery. Our patients have drainag...
What should I know if I'm considering a tummy tuck?
Tummy tuck procedures are excellent surgeries for patients who are finished having children. Women w...
Is it painful to have drainage tubes removed after tummy tuck surgery?
There is a myth circulating through the rumor mill that pulling out the drain tubes is painful. ...
Is it safe to get a tummy tuck surgery if I have an umbilical hernia?
It is absolutely safe to have a combined abdominoplasty and umbilical hernia repair concurrently. It...