Is it safe to get a tummy tuck surgery if I have an umbilical hernia?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
It is absolutely safe to have a combined abdominoplasty and umbilical hernia repair concurrently. It is not unusual that we have a general surgeon in the operating room that will help repair the umbilical hernia at the same time as the elective tummy tuck procedure. The patient should consult with a general surgeon before the surgery in order to have the umbilical hernia evaluated as well. It is not infrequent that a mesh graft by the general surgeon will be performed on the umbilical hernia repair if it is a large hernia, or that direct reconstruction of the umbilical hernia can be performed repairing the fascia at the same time as tightening the rest of the rectus sheath, or the internal muscle lining.

Continue Learning about Abdominoplasty Or Tummy Tuck

What will my scar look like from abdominoplasty surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Scarring from abdominoplasties can range from excellent to horrible. There is no guarantee as to...
Is a tummy tuck part of the surgery to repair diastasis recti?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
I have rarely repaired the diastasis without doing a tummy tuck. That's because usually we use a hip...
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is an Abdominoplasty?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
What Is a Tummy Tuck?