When should I worry about stomach pain?

The When to Worry Scale can help you understand the difference between benign stomach pain such as indigestion and serious pain associated with gallstones:

Green Zone: Lowest Risk -- If abdominal pain is relieved with antacids or after you urinate or have a bowel movement, it is most likely just stomach upset.

Yellow Zone: Medium Risk -- If moving around or changing your position doesn’t help relieve the pain, it could indicate a blockage.

Red Zone: Highest Risk -- Abdominal pain that occurs within 20-30 minutes every time you eat fatty food could signal gallstones. Keep a log and seek help from a doctor if your pain is severe.

Continue Learning about Abdominal Pain

5 Questions to Ask If You Have Stomach Pain
Whether you call it a stomach ache, tummy ache or the more medical “abdominal pain,” we’ve all had stomach pain. In fact, it’s one of the most common ...
How can I tell if my child's abdominal pain is a sign of a serious illness?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
There are many potential causes of belly pain. Any pain that is severe or lasts for a long time dese...
12 Reasons Your Stomach Hurts
12 Reasons Your Stomach Hurts12 Reasons Your Stomach Hurts12 Reasons Your Stomach Hurts12 Reasons Your Stomach Hurts
Learn what could be causing your stomach pain, as well as how to treat it. 
Ask the Experts: Endometriosis Risks and Causes