As a renowned dentist and prosthodontist in practice for nearly 30 years, Dr. Levine, a Sharecare expert, offers a comprehensive approach to dental health, intersecting beauty with function. Dr. Levine is a visionary product inventor, clinical researcher and published author. Holding three patents and 12 patents pending in oral care, Dr. Levine is responsible for modernizing the way people whiten their teeth. Dr. Levine is an Associate Professor at the NYU School of Dentistry and is as committed to advances in the medical field as he is to his patients at his Upper East Side practice.
Flexing happens when decay in or under an old restoration (or filling) eats away at the tooth, destabilizing the tooth, unsupported, and thus, flexing it. And when the tooth flexes, it sends an impulse back to the nerve, and then to the brain, communicating pain.
- WORRY LEVEL: Moderate. This condition
As soon as you see your new whiter teeth, you'll be hit with what I call "The WOW" experience. Your teeth will now have become as many as 12 shades whiter, so you won't be able to stop checking them out in the mirror. You'll feel like a new person. It is a great high.
But, within a few days, you'll...Read More
Call your dentist and ask him to explain to you what goes on during a child’s first appointment, so you can then prepare your child for what to expect. Also, be sure to bring your child’s medical history with you to the appointment.
Instead of instilling fear in your child about the dentist, get him...Read More
The following are advancements in teeth whitening technology:
- A time-released gel that contains six percent hydrogen peroxide when applied, but increases to ten percent over the course of five to ten minutes -- cutting the time one has to keep the agent on his or her teeth significantly.
If a tooth is traumatized, the ligament around the tooth becomes wider, increasing the mobility and causing an inflammation in its ligament space, called ligament pain. Unlike orthodontia, where the force that's applied is measured, untold, pathological force can cause bone destruction.
A tooth is divided into three parts.
- The root, which is the foundation of the tooth. It’s hidden below the gum line.
- The cementum, which is the layer of bone-like tissue that covers the outer surface of the root.
- The crown, which is the majority of the tooth and the part that’s visible.
There are several disadvantages of using silver amalgam tooth fillings:
- Many patients don’t like the look of silver in their mouths.
- Sometimes healthy parts of the tooth need to be removed to make room for the amalgam filling.
- It has the potential to crack and fracture more than other filling
There are several advantages of composite tooth fillings:
- A composite is a good choice when the decay is minor. Since it’s contained within a tooth (as opposed to taking over an entire side or section of a tooth), it doesn’t encounter much force.
- The composite is by far the most subtle restorations. Its
There are several disadvantages of gold tooth fillings:
- It’s more expensive than other materials, up to ten times higher than the cost of an amalgam.
- Many patients don’t like the look of gold in their mouths.
- Its placement requires at least two office visits.
- Galvanic shock: The ADA notes
Scaling removes the deposits of tartar above and below the gum. A scaler looks like a pen with a curved end, making it easier for the dentist to get into the hard-to-reach spots, like the pockets. Scaling also removes any diseased bacteria (called bacterial endotoxins) that may have gotten under...Read More
Rubber tips are great for toning the soft tissue of the gums, especially the ones in the upper front that need to be massaged to create tight, healthy gums. Rubber tips are also great tools for splinted teeth, since the rubber acts as a squeegee, removing plaque and massaging the soft tissue. These should...Read More
The dentin lies just beneath the enamel, and is the largest part of the tooth. Its bone-like substance is comprised of minerals, water and protein (while enamel is almost all mineral, enamel is about half mineral, half organic). What’s more important to know is that your tooth’s color comes from...Read More
If you tend to have oral nuisances, try keeping a food journal, if only for few days. Jot down everything you eat, then add up the acids and compare them to the alkalinizing. Afterwards, check out your mouth to see if your gums are indicative of your diet. If you are diligent about your record keeping,...Read More
Things to check when you are undergoing any dental procedure:
- If you're having a crown done, ask for a mirror so you can check to see whether the tooth being worked on looks just like its neighbor. Is it natural looking and is the gum around it healthy?
- There should be no blackness at the gum