Question

Vitamin C

How can vitamin C help treat age spots?

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    When it comes to treating age spots, you don’t need chemical peels and lasers -- it turns out that vitamin C can have almost the same results! Age spots are essentially sun damage, and vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, shown to reduce the number of sunburned cells as well as reverse age-related damage to skin. While it’s not a replacement for sunscreen, vitamin C protects against and may repair UV damage like discoloration and fine lines.

Taking vitamin C through a supplement or food is beneficial to your health, but to specifically target signs of aging on your face, topical vitamin C is best. In fact, applying vitamin C to the skin can be 20 times more effective than taking it orally.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • AElizabeth Hale, MD, Dermatology, answered
    How can vitamin C help treat age spots?

Vitamin C is an easy and effective treatment for age spots, but it can cause problems if you don't know how to use it. In this video, dermatologist Elizabeth Hale explains how to do it right.

How does my body's vitamin C level affect my skin?