Question

Stretching

Is there a stretch I can do to loosen up my lower back?

• AJoel Harper - Elite Trainer, Fitness, answered
    Hippie with Joel Harper

A lot of people try to stretch their lower back out when it is tight and it keeps coming back. That is because most lower-back tension comes from tight hips, so my recommendation for you is that you gently open and realign your hips. Your back sits on your hips and if your hips are tight it pulls on your lower back.  Try the hippie. It is a great stretch to do in the middle of your day or on the back of an airplane if you feel your back tightening up. 

With your feet flat on the ground, slowly bend forward at your waist walking your hands down your legs as long as it feels comfortable. Hang down and alternate bending one knee and keeping the other leg straight (but still keeping your feet flat). Let your head dangle down, releasing all your tension. Stretch each side holding for 15 seconds.

• Yes, you can stretch loosen up your lower back through static and dynamic stretching. One of my favorites is the supine twist stretch. Lie on your back on the floor. Gently rotate trunk and legs to side so that your knees are facing entirely to a side. Hold for 20 seconds and repeat. Remember to keep your shoulders on the ground. Additional stretches include double knee to the chest, kneeling hip stretch and ball inner thigh. Light aerobic activity can also help loosen your low back.
  • Yes, one great stretch for your lower back is called the double knee to chest stretch. Lie on your back, and pull both knees to your chest. Hold that position for 30 seconds and repeat two to three times. When the low back muscles are tight, they can cause the low back to arch excessively and the pelvis to tilt forward, which can cause compression on the vertebral disks. Bringing the knees to the chest stretches the muscles of the low back and may help realign your pelvis back to a neutral position. Additional static stretches that may help loosen your lower back include the kneeling hip stretch, erector spinae stretch, and ball inner thigh stretch. After static stretching, dynamic stretches or light aerobic activity will help increase circulation and may further loosen your back.

Helpful? 3 people found this helpful.
I like exercising in the pool, can I perform my stretches in the pool?