Question

Sleep Basics

How do I know if I am sleep-deprived?

• AMichael Breus, PhD, Psychology, answered
    It’s hard enough to make sure we get at least 7 hours of sleep every night, but it’s even more difficult to make sure those hours are good, quality sleep. In honor of Sleep Awareness Week, take a look at some of the questions that the CDC asked in a recent survey:
    • During the past 30 days, for about how many days have you felt you did not get enough rest or sleep?
    • During the past 30 days, for about how many days did you find yourself unintentionally falling asleep during the day?
    • During the past 30 days, have you ever nodded off or fallen asleep, even just for a brief moment, while driving?
    Are you surprised by your answers? You shouldn’t be. In the subsequent CDC report, 35% of the adults studied reported getting less than 7 hours of sleep per night!
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
  • ARealAge answered

If you're wondering whether you're sleep deprived, consider how much time you need to fall asleep. It takes most people several minutes to drift into a deep slumber. If you fall asleep very quickly (e.g., within the first five minutes of lying down), it's a strong indication that you are sleep deprived.

How common is sleep deprivation in the U.S.?