• Audio or visual hallucinations in which they see or hear things that others can't see or hear
• A reduced or minimal range of emotions
• Trouble in school and with peers
• Difficulty taking care of one's self
• Strange speech or thought patterns
A child with schizophrenia may become agitated easily. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, while only 1 in 100 people in the United States have schizophrenia, only 1 in 100 people with schizophrenia develop the disease in childhood. For the best chance of recovery, early diagnosis and treatment of childhood schizophrenia is essential.