• luteinizing hormone, which plays a part in menstrual cycles and pregnancy and tells men when to release testosterone;
• prolactin, which helps women produce milk and plays a role in maintaining immune system cells in both genders (women have a lot more prolactin at all times than men);
• thyroid stimulating hormone, which stimulates the thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormone that helps regulate metabolism and blood pressure;
• adrenal corticotrophic hormone, which stimulates: the adrenal cortex to produce cortisone that helps regulate metabolism, blood pressure, and response to stress;
• aldosterone that helps regulate water metabolism and blood pressure; and the sex hormone it produces (such as testosterone for women);
• and growth hormone, which, uh, helps you grow.
Find out more about this book:YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger