Question

Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

How can I tell if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

• ALouis Rosner, Neurology, answered
    A true revolution has occurred in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) with the widespread use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), which can now show a clear picture of MS lesions in the brain and spinal cord. For years, MS had remained one of the most difficult diseases to confirm. But that has now dramatically changed. But even with the new technology, the diagnostic process is, at best, a complex one, usually beginning with a visit to the family doctor - a general practitioner who is often unprepared for some of the strange descriptions of symptoms. It is not uncommon for a patient to be referred to an ophthalmologist for eye complaints, an orthopedist for problems related to the spine and bones, a urologist for bladder problems, or even a psychiatrist.
    In 1879 Dr. Buzzard wrote, "In its infancy, the name we give to multiple sclerosis is hysteria." At the time it was not uncommon for the early signs and symptoms of MS to be confused with psychiatric problems. Today MS remains one of the most difficult diseases in the world to diagnose.

Find out more about this book:

Multiple Sclerosis
    Buy book
How is primary-progressive multiple sclerosis diagnosed?