Question

Metabolic Disorders

What can I drink besides water to stay hydrated?

• AMarshelya Wilson, MD, Family Medicine, answered
    There are a few options available on the market for hydration. For most of us who participate in moderate-intensity exercise 4-5 times a week, water is more than adequate for hydration. Coconut water has gained attention recently for its hydrating properties. It contains a higher content of potassium than most sports drinks. This helps muscles recover faster after exercise. Sports drinks are preferred in long distance runners and if you sweat a lot during exercise. They contain electrolytes and carbohydrates that are necessary when running long distances.
  • AKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN, Emergency Room Nursing, answered on behalf of Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
    Water is the best for staying hydrated. However, if you are participating in activities that cause you to sweat, you may want to consider using some sort of sports drink.  Mixing the sports drink with water will decrease the caloric content of the sports drink and provide you with a flavored beverage. 
  • ALisa Lynn, Fitness, answered
    Lisa Lynn - What can I drink besides water to stay hydrated?

Fitness expert Lisa Lynn discusses what you can drink besides water to stay hydrated. Watch Lisa Lynn's video for important tips and information about fitness, diet and weight loss.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Can I prevent dehydration without drinking excess fluids?