Question

Medicare

When will I receive my Medicare membership card?

• AMichael Roizen, MD, Internal Medicine, answered

If you enrolled either automatically (because you receive disability or retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board) or applied online or in person through the Social Security Administration office, you should receive your Medicare membership card in the mail within three months of your 65th birthday. Don’t wait if you didn’t get it by your birthday -- check and reapply. If you are disabled, you should receive your red, white, and blue Medicare card in the mail during your 25th month of disability.

• AUnitedHealthcare answered
    If you get Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, you are automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A. This takes effect the first day of the month you turn 65. Disabled people automatically receive Part A after starting disability benefits from Social Security or the RRB. In either case, you should receive your Medicare membership card three months before your 65th birthday or on the 25th month of your disability.
How much does Medicare prescription drug coverage cost?