The knee is one of the largest and most complex joints in the body. It's susceptible to damage from injury and overuse, and the wear and tear of aging makes it even more vulnerable. So if your knees hurt, join the club. Knee pain brings more people to the doctor's office than any other musculoskeletal problem.
Can Cycling or Running Wear
See the answer
AskMDGot knee pain? Find out more about your symptoms
The percentage of adults who develop knee arthritis by age 85
Michael Roizen, MD
Knee Pain Q&As
Rick Olderman, MSPT
What exercises can help relieve knee pain?
If you find an exercise that feels good, then do it as often as you can. Trust your body, it knows what it likes! In particular, stretches should always feel good . . .
- Q What can I do for knee pain?
- Q How does knee pain occur?
- Q My knees hurt a lot after jogging—am I doing something wrong?
- Q How can weak thigh muscles contribute to knee pain?
- Q What should I expect during a knee examination?
- Q How is knee arthritis treated?
- Q Why does my knee hurt when I climb stairs?
- Q What is the best treatment option for runner’s knee?
- Q Why may I need knee replacement surgery?
- Q Is there more than one kind of arthritis of the knee?
Knee Pain Action Plans
If you’re struggling with aching knees, use these expert strategies to live pain-free.
Lose Weight to Fight Knee Pain Exercise Without Hurting Your Knees R.I.C.E. Treatment for Injuries Joint Pain Doctor Visit Guide Get More Joint Health Tips
Knee Pain VideosSee more videos
Slim Down to Ease Your Knees
If you're overweight, the best thing you can do to do lessen pain and protect your knees from future damage is to lose weight.
Top 5 Foods for Healthy Joints
Feed your knees. Check out these five go-to foods with the nutrients you need to live pain-free and stay mobile.