Question

Herbal Supplements

If I take silica, how much should I take?

• Adults (18 years and older): The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not established a recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for silicon. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies has not recommended a daily adequate intake (AI) for silicon. It has been suggested that an "apparent beneficial intake (ABI)" might be established for silicon and other ultratrace elements that have beneficial, if not essential, effects that can be extrapolated from animal research to humans. Dietary intake of silicon in Western populations ranges from 20 to 50 milligrams daily. Further human research has shown that the mean daily intake of silicon is 30-33 milligrams in men and 24-25 milligrams in women. Higher levels of intake are associated with predominantly plant-based diets and lower levels with primarily meat-based diets. Increasing the amount of silicon provided to adults with functioning kidneys who are receiving long-term parenteral nutrition to at least 10 milligrams daily may benefit bone health. For brittle nail syndrome, 10 milligrams of silicon or 10 of milliliters colloidal silica have been taken by mouth daily. For dementia (Alzheimer's disease), 10 milligrams has been taken by mouth daily. You should read product labels, and discuss all therapies with a qualified healthcare provider. Natural Standard information does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Copyright © 2012 by Natural Standard Research Collaboration. All Rights Reserved.

What is silica?